Monday, May 23, 2011

Words to parent by...

A friend of mine shared a quote on their blog/facebook page...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

I absolutely LOVE this! And I really feel that it is so applicable to my goal in parenting little Ian. I know that he will have his challenges - what person doesn't - but unfortunately society will place certain limitations on him based upon his "disabilities" without knowing the full extent of his abilities. We have yet to find out what his abilities will be ourselves, but I hate the thought of his life being limited in any way... Either by myself or by "outsiders".

Words really can't describe how strongly I feel about my little guy and how much I want to advocate for him already. Is that silly? I don't even know yet if we'll be faced with any obstacles. I guess I'm just assuming they'll be there knowing what I know about life in general. Maybe I'm just being a protective momma :) I also don't want to further disable Ian by enabling him to use his "disability" as an excuse... I want to support him and enable him to feel capable of reaching his full potential, but I do not want him to feel stupid if he can't attain his goals. His dreams may be out of reach... Or he could shock and surprise us all by reaching those dreams :) Who knows what his future may hold? It's fun to dream about his future... And it's fun to think about all the opportunities I will have as a mommy to lift up and cheer on my little guy and help him achieve his very best :) To be able to proudly sit back and say "That's my Ian!" no matter what he is doing :) I can't wait to see what path he will go down and see where life will take him! It's all pretty exciting :)

So shoot for the stars Ian! As your mom, I promise to provide you with the rocket fuel to get you there if you need it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment